Current Music: laptop fan whine

From:sfo2lhr
Date:August 17th, 2010 05:24 am (UTC)
(Link)
I did the jailbreak.me web hack a few weeks ago, which worked fine, because I needed two specific things: tether and carrier unlock. (Tether via PdaNet works fine; haven't done the unlock yet.) But beyond that, the world of Cydia made me long for the safe, vetted, and QA'd Apple App Store. Cydia is full of intrusive ads and apparent malware, and all sorts of skeezy stuff. I philosophically support jailbreak, openness, and choice, but most of what I saw was not very appealing, and some was downright scary - I went to one page on Cydia, which offered free ringtones -- not something I really care about since it's easy to make your own -- and instead of downloading something, the link took control of my phone and dialed a (800) phone number! The number belongs to Flynet, who are purveyors of sleazy "subscriptions" which are hard to cancel, and have been under investigation or sued by consumer-protection agencies.

Between the ads, the malware, and the extremely low average quality of the apps (many crashed or refused to run on my 3GS with iOS 4.0.1 even though they were supposed to), I think I'm sticking with the App Store except for things I really need and can't get there.
(Reply) (Thread)