Current Music: none

From:ironkite
Date:September 22nd, 2008 06:11 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hong Kong in rush hour wasn't packing in like that (but it was TIGHT), more like they were there just to make sure no one would stand in the way of the doors when exiting the train. And for some stations they have glass walls on the station platform so no one would get pushed off the side onto the tracks. The train doors would line up perfectly with the station doors, just like an elevator.

Some of the comments were actually pretty well thought out. I wouldn't want to get packed in like that!
From:r_wolfcastle
Date:September 23rd, 2008 08:35 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I got pushed by the white-gloved guys once just like that in Tokyo, although it wasn't nearly as difficult for them to pack us in as in this video. It really was no big deal. Once the train started moving, the crowd shook out sort of like a box of crackers, and there was room to do things like actually put your arms down at your sides.

Much worse was a Friday afternoon rush hour where I was on a relatively empty train coming into Shinjuku (perhaps the most busy train station in the world) from a subsidiary line. I was standing in front of the door when it opened, and a wall (actually, a rectangular solid) of people RAN into the train car as fast as they could. They hit me like a 300-lb. linebacker, lifting me off my feet, slammed me into the far wall of the car, and when the doors closed I was still pinned against the wall with both feet completely off the ground. After about 20 seconds I was finally able to get both feet on the floor again.
(Reply) (Thread)