Title: I would prefer to meet someone who lives near me - 28
From: s.f. bayarea craigslist :: san francisco :: women seeking men, URL: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/w4m/487228785.html

Hello there! I am 28 years of age. I am 5 ft. 6 in., 120 pounds with blue eyes and golden brown hair. I have travelled to many countries in Europe as well as to Canada, the Caribbean and many states here in the USA. Aside from travelling I enjoy being outside - sunset or evening walks on the beach going to the mountains, to State and National Parks, to caves/caverns, I like to go horseback riding, etc. On occasions I attend auctions (antiques), and am interested in lots of other things. I am college educated. I am employed at a private country club as the Administrative Assistant / Human Resources Director / Office Manager. I have 3 dogs (Greyhound, Saluki and English Setter) and 2 cats. I am an open & honest, intelligent, confident, cultured, caring woman who has a lot to offer. If you are a white male age 26 to 32 preferably living in here and would like to know more about me please reply - I would prefer to meet someone who lives near me as I am looking for more than just a "weekend relationship". I look forward to hearing from you.

So you may ask, "what's funny about this ad?" Did you notice that this person asked for someone who lived near her... then did not state where she lived?

Anyway, I thought you might find it amusing.

Current Location: home office
Current Mood: sillysilly
Current Music: disk drive whine

From:xeger
Date:November 24th, 2007 07:27 am (UTC)
(Link)
I know I'm dreadfully literalist (especially with the good cough medicine in tummy) ... but I'd have figured "near" was a city-sized description, rather than a neighbourhood sized description ;)
From:jymdyer
Date:November 25th, 2007 03:47 pm (UTC)

Literally Dreadfullist

(Link)
=v= Well, "preferably living in here" could be a request for demonic possession, or for an elf-sized being inside the writer's monitor.
From:gomijacogeo
Date:November 24th, 2007 09:13 am (UTC)
(Link)
What part of "San Francisco" am I misinterpreting?
From:generalist
Date:November 24th, 2007 05:11 pm (UTC)

Nearness

In answer to both Go and Xe:
Ok, she might indeed have meant, and probably did mean, "near to the city of San Francisco." But most people who mean that sort of thing say something in the body of their message about it. She didn't. And most people who are picky about location in their personals ad are pickier than our concensus on this ad--weakly specifying a 10x7 mile patch of ground that has some severe traffic within it is actually pretty broad for someone who is picky about location.

Cheers!

(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)