"Fixing" lack of desire in females - Life is strange...

Apr. 19th, 2007

08:35 am - "Fixing" lack of desire in females

This article, from last week's SF Chronicle, is about yet another potential aphrodisiac for women. The scientists working on it tested it in rats, and I especially liked this bit of writing from the story:

[it also] fomented sexual excitement in female rats, prompting them to wiggle their ears, hop excitedly, rub noses with males and otherwise display unmistakable hallmarks of rodent arousal.

Whether it works or not, we will still have that little gem to remember.

I wonder if there are good reasons that many women are not particularly sexually interested, much of the time? Could it be pheremonal overload? Population density? Prolonged sleep-deprivation? OTC drugs? Birth-control pills? Too much food availability? Simple aging? Constant worry and stress? "Beauty" products? Sedentary lives? Less-interesting potential (and actual) partners?

Maybe it's a flaw in experimental design. Or maybe it's always been there, and recent experiments are just finding it now because people have simultaneously lost enough of their prudery and gained enough anonymity that they are willing to construct, present and answer such research more honestly now than in previous years.

Ideas?

Cheers! generalist

Tags: ,
Current Mood: awake
Current Music: server whine

From:hennepin
Date:April 19th, 2007 03:43 pm (UTC)
(Link)
"rodent arousal"! hehehehe! That alone will keep me going for the rest of the day. I wish I could wiggle my ears as a sign to potential partners!

I think the anonymity aspect of recent studies helps a great deal. I recently posted an article from the NY Times that I found fascinating because it was the first completely honest study regarding the differences between men and women and their sexual responses to given stimuli. It found that women were a lot less prone to lack of response than previously thought.... Which makes me think that a perceived lack of interest in sex could have more to do with the lack of interesting and creative partners.

Personally, I'm looking for an inhibitor drug these days. Until I find someone with greater potential, that is.
From:plantgirl
Date:April 19th, 2007 06:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
unmistakable hallmarks

Ummm, yeah. Gotta love those unmistakable hallmarks.
(Reply) (Thread)
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:shadowsmark
Date:April 19th, 2007 09:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
This is only part of the story about sex. Humans use sex for a lot more than procreation, so any explanation that begins and ends at procreation is incomplete, and doesn't further scientific inquiry. Imagine saying, "Humans use they mouths for eating, and eating is a vital function, so that must be all that mouths are good for"!
From:jymdyer
Date:April 21st, 2007 10:51 pm (UTC)

Yeah, really.

(Link)
=v= Humans are so multivariate, practically nothing comes down to a simple pattern, even if it's biologicalish.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From:llamaeyes
Date:April 19th, 2007 09:00 pm (UTC)

interest in interest

(Link)
I'm ALWAYS interested, and they just did testing and found out my testosterone is too low. It is difficult for me to understand studies like this because they are SO outside my instincts I can't comprehend feeling that way.

I suppose I am broken in a good way, but stil.