Some odd system changes in culture and thus news reporting - Life is strange...

Mar. 30th, 2007

10:16 am - Some odd system changes in culture and thus news reporting

A couple of news stories have reminded me once again that all is not what it was when I was small. this news story, about laxative-laced doughnuts, would have never made the news in the 70s. This one just would not have happened.

I was listening to an interview of Cora Daniels, the author of Ghetto Nation, a book about the origin, meaning and use of the word: ghetto. Her contention is that glorification of the bad side of poverty is really terrible, and that it leads to behavior that prevents the huge majority of people that grow up in poverty from becoming successful. My contention is that we emulate what we think is ok... so glorification of fantasy violence begets violence in the real world, thus the story about the homicidally-aggressive ten-year-olds.

What do you think?

Current Mood: thoughtfulthoughtful
Current Music: disk drive whir

Comments:

(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:generalist
Date:March 31st, 2007 01:14 am (UTC)

I believe you, I am sure it has happened since there have been people. My knowledge is strictly anecdotal, but the fact is that I did not hear about it then, even though I was more plugged into news then than now.

And what exactly do they think they are doing, considering trying a 10 year old as an adult? A 17 year old may be arguably an adult, but a 10 year old?

Cheers!

From:xthread
Date:March 30th, 2007 11:57 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Umm... by what mechanism have you checked your implied hypothesis that 'homicidally aggressive ten year olds didn't exist in the US in the 1970s'?
From:generalist
Date:March 31st, 2007 01:15 am (UTC)
(Link)
No good mechanism. Please see my reply to judith_s.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)