Current Music: brokeback sparta

From:xthread
Date:March 24th, 2007 07:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm curious that you broke the scansion on the last line on the last verse - why 'perhaps a tombstone' instead of 'perhaps on tombstones'?
From:shadowsmark
Date:March 24th, 2007 09:57 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I don't think the scansion's broken....it's more that the grammar was awkward--which you fixed. I guess either way though, it's jarring, which is the import of your question.
From:generalist
Date:March 26th, 2007 08:59 pm (UTC)

I said 'perhaps a tombstone', not 'perhaps on tombstones' because I was setting up a comparison and tension between 'here' (i.e. in this poem) and 'elsewhere' ('a tombstone'). I think of tombstones more as places than as things, thus I was thinking of a tombstone as an example of 'elsewhere', rather than thinking (as you did): 'written here' vs 'written on tombstones'. My lack of pluralization of 'tombstone' was deliberate as well, since I find each tombstones so unique that I hardly can think of the lot of them as a class. So what I wrote still fits what I was thinking better than your suggested correction, yet I agree that most people would prefer your version, because it would better scan to the way you (and they) would naturally think. But the meaning is different.

Thanks! generalist

From:owlmoose
Date:March 25th, 2007 07:26 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Meta haiku! I love it. Especially the last one. :)
(Reply) (Thread)