Garden Photos - Life is strange...

Oct. 19th, 2006

07:30 am - Garden Photos

I never thought I would like gardening. It's slow, it has back-breaking labor, it is something my father liked when I was a kid (and commanded me to help with), and it has dirt. Lots of dirt. But my gf convinced me that I should try doing it with her, and I did, and now I've discovered I even like doing it without her. When we were in Portland visiting my parents about a year ago, we went to Powell, a great and also huge new-and-used bookstore that is a Portland standard. I bought Square Foot Gardening there (now available in a new edition), and have been applying the principles, more or less, ever since. The general idea is that tight spacing between plants, and less gardening surface area (but the garden itself is in raised beds) makes for less work and better and more vegetables out of any particular small space.

Here are some photos of my garden as of yesterday. This is what a garden looks like when the person who created it wasn't too structured to start with, and has been so busy at work as to have rather let it go. Lackadaisical would be a kind word for my garden maintenance regime. Nonetheless, I do have some good and pretty things in a small garden setting--about 150 sq ft total, not including the grape arbor.

Plot4: overall view

Plot4: overall view

Plot4: closer view

Plot4: closer view

Italian Basil

Italian Basil (basically a shrub)

Cantaloupe

Cantaloupe

Ornamental Sunflower

Ornamental Sunflower

Loofah Gourd

Loofah Gourd -- reportedly, we can pick these and find a fibrous skin exfoliating product on the inside!

Loofah Flower

Loofah Flower

Plots 2 and 3

Plots 2 and 3

Thompson Grapes (seedless)

Thompson Grapes. These are the same seedless green grapes you eat all the time, only better.

Drying Pole Beans

Pole Beans (drying on the vine)

Orange Cherry Tomatoes

Orange Cherry Tomatoes

Pole beans invading Tomatoes

Pole beans invading Tomatoes

Flat Italian Parsley

Flat Italian Parsley

Thai Basil (a volunteer)

Thai Basil (a volunteer)

Brussels Sprouts

Brussels Sprouts. In about 3 months this will be a long stalk with lots of tiny micro-cabbages all ready to saute or steam and eat.

Hot Peppers

Hot Peppers (hidden by squash leaves)

Thompson Grapes (arbor)

Thompson Grapes (the long view)

Cheers! generalist

Tags: ,
Current Mood: contemplativecontemplative
Current Music: birds chirping and squirrels scampering

From:hennepin
Date:October 19th, 2006 03:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
What a beautiful garden! I'm incredibly impressed by the fruit -- gorgeous grapes, the tomatoes, and the cantaloupe!! Stunning. How in the world do you resist eating them all right off the vine?

You should be proud of all that labor! It's really paid off... and I find it incredibly inspiring.
From:shadowsmark
Date:October 19th, 2006 04:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And I can attest to the yumminess of almost all of it (pretty sure I haven't tasted the peppers). Thanks for sharing! ;-}
From:toxgunn
Date:October 19th, 2006 05:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Very cool - congrats. Interesting how more and more of us seem to be shifting towards gardening in recent years.
From:ironkite
Date:October 21st, 2006 06:22 pm (UTC)
(Link)
We did a potted garden this year. I was going to go out and cut all the basil down soon, it's pesto night! And it keeps creeping closer to freezing here, and we'll lose the basil then. I concentrated on herbs this year, with a few tomato plants.

Fine looking hunk of garden you got there. I did look at the square food garden dude's website for tips, since we planted really close together. Next year I'll start the plants a little sooner than June, so they'll get a bit bigger next time.
(Reply) (Thread)