The song is apparently about a slave from the American South, well pre Civil War. His master dies despite his efforts. He either doesn't care about Jimmy because he's so despondent, or so happy, (or so drunk and wasted) depending on to which interpretation you subscribe. Corn is likely corn-sourced distilled liquor. Here's some more information:

From:hennepin
Date:September 19th, 2006 05:40 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Thanks for that! Now I'm humming "Jimmy crack corn..." and probably will be for the next day or two... It actually makes me want to dance a jig... or crack corn later on.

Sometimes, a phrase will come out of my mouth... such as "pleased as punch"... and I can't rest until I've tracked down its origins. The evolution of language is always a fascinating subject.
From:shadowsmark
Date:September 19th, 2006 05:54 pm (UTC)

Bowdlerization

(Link)
My daughter's music program (Music Together) includes this song on one of their collections. They changed the words, though not the corn-cracking ones.....

Jimmy crack corn, and I don't care
Jimmy crack corn, and I don't care
Jimmy crack corn, and I don't care
Cause I'm gonna play all day!
From:jymdyer
Date:September 20th, 2006 03:04 am (UTC)

It's all about me.

(Link)
=v= Maybe the song got stuck in your head because of those corny jokes I was cracking.
(Reply) (Thread)