CASH FAMILY BLOCK AD PLANS - Life is strange...

Feb. 18th, 2004

04:27 pm - CASH FAMILY BLOCK AD PLANS

I just had to share. It is sad that Johnny Cash is dead, but this is awfully funny....

Found deep into this omnibus article in SFGate:

CASH FAMILY BLOCK AD PLANS

Johnny Cash's family members have blocked an advertising firm's plans to use the late country legend's hit "Ring of Fire" for a hemorrhoid-relief product commercial.

TV producer Sula Miller of Big Grin Productions in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., says she thought of the idea when she heard the song -- penned by Cash, his late wife June Carter Cash and Merle Kilgore -- on the radio while struggling with the uncomfortable condition.

When approached, co-writer Kilgore found the idea extremely funny and says he often joked about hemorrhoids onstage whenever he'd introduce "Ring of Fire" -- but Cash's family is not laughing.

Cash's daughter Rosanne rants, "We would never allow the song to be demeaned like that. He (Merle) started talking about this moronic tie-in without talking to any of us.

"The song is about the transformative power of love and that's what it has always meant to me and that's what it will always mean to the Cash children."

Kilgore insists it was not his intention to upset the family.

-(Cheers) generalist

Current Mood: amusedamused
Current Music: Depeche Mode / New Life

From:malabar
Date:February 19th, 2004 11:46 am (UTC)
(Link)
In the UK the song is used to promote a kind of chili sauce. I guess the family isn't aware of that one, or maybe it's a cover version.
(Reply) (Thread)